Basically there are two types of fridges for caravanning and camping and these are the Two Way Fridge and Three Way Fridge.
These fridges use a motor to cool, much like your home fridge, but they run off 12, 24 or 240 volts.
- Electric power: 12v, 24v, 240v
- Can run on gas: No
- Can warm food: No
- Can freeze food: Yes
- Cooling at 20 degrees: -18
- Cooling at 40 degrees: -10
- Maximum amps on 12v: 4 to 7
- Average amps on 12v: 1 to 3
- Amp hours per day: 24 to 72
- Noise level: Medium
- Heat output: Low
- Fast cooling: Yes
- Capacity range (litres): 13 to 110
- Price range: $600 to $2000
Two Way Fridges are great for Touring as power can be supplied from your vehicle even when parked. They do not need to be level and will maintain temperatures even in hot weather. However, they need constant power to run when camped ie; dual Battery System, Solar or a Generator.
- These fridges use a source of heat running on 12 or 240 volts and even gas.
- Electric power: 12v, 240v
- Can run on gas: Yes
- Can warm food: No
- Can freeze food: In cool weather
- Cooling at 20 degrees: -10
- Cooling at 40 degrees: +3 to +15
- Some higher priced models may also have a freezer compartment, which can hold -15 degrees on a 40 degree day
- Maximum amps on 12v: 10
- Average amps on 12v: 10
- Amp hours per day: 240
- Noise level: Low
- Heat output: High
- Fast cooling: No
- Capacity range (litres): 39 to 50
- Price range: $350 to $1200
Three way fridges can be operated efficiently for long periods of time on gas, no need to rely on batteries or AC. They run quietly and have no moving parts. However, they need to be ventilated and draw a lot of power especially on 12v power. They need to be level to run on all three settings and must not run on gas while mobile. They don’t run very well in high temperatures and can take a long time to cool on 12v.
Basically it boils down to what use you need it for. If you plan on camping in the middle of nowhere for long periods of time then perhaps a Three Way Fridge is what you need but if you’re 4wd driving and stopping frequently, the three way just won’t cut it and you should opt for a two way.
JULY 2011 SPECIALS:
WAECO CF50 FRIDGE/FREEZER - $1059.00
ENGEL 40 LITRE FRIDGE ONLY - $1189.00
FREE WITH PURCHASE
FRIGDE STAND VALUED AT - $49.95
2 X SLEEPING BAGS VALUED AT - $99.90TOTAL - $149.85